Sunday, June 27, 2010

Inspiring Photographer: Melissa Rodwell

She's already made a reputation for herself as a great fashion photographer, and not only are her photos beautiful, but she's also made an effort to help aspiring photographers. Check out her blog:  "FASHION PHOTOGRAPHY BLOG: A resource for fashion photographers created by one":



"This blog is presented for two different reasons. First, I aim to educate those photographers who are looking for inside instruction on lighting, directing and casting. I have tutorials that will take the viewer with me on fashion shoots where I will discuss topics from directing hair and make up artists to showing you, the viewer, how to create an edge light. I will continually write blogs on techniques ranging from background lighting to shooting editorial vs. commercial. The subject matter is vast and I intend to cover as much as I can. The second reason I am writing this blog is to give the reader an inside peek of the lifestyle of a fashion photographer. Is it as glamorous as the media depicts? I will let you be the judge.

I welcome you to my world, a Los Angeles fashion photographer with over 21 years experience and at least that many years left in me in image making. This blog is for all of you: amateur, student, professional, gossip monger, groupie, fashionista and just simply fan. Enjoy!"

From browsing melissarodwell.com:





And here's an excerpt from one of her blog posts, which I found hilarious:

“Living in Los Angeles is indeed a trip. As the famous gossip columnist Rona Barrett once said; “Pick your enemies carefully or you’ll never make it in Los Angeles.” People tend to live in a dream world here where who you are is identified by the car you drive or the celebrity’s personal cell number in your iPhone. Young hopefuls flock here by the thousands hoping to make their dreams come true and the city supports that mission by placing more importance on material and superficial gains over spiritual enlightenment. LA denizens actually believe if they jog for two hours in the morning they are morally fit. As Craig Kilbourn joked, “People here in Los Angeles are disgusted now about a sex scandal involving Arnold Schwarzenegger. Apparently for seven years, he carried on a sexual relationship with his own wife.” Yep, that’s my hometown, love it or not…But a slice of heaven opened up in the dark heart of Hollywood and standing at the pearly gates are Rodney Burns and David Malvaney . These two angels are responsible for opening a high-end boutique that caters to the rich and famous and those who just think they are and they named the store CHURCH…”



Here are some favorites of mine from a shoot she did for Genlux, where the theme was Royal. Melissa hired a set designer to emulate the attic room from the 1904 Frances Hogdson Burnett novel "The Little Princess." I think the results were phenomenal:















And lastly, here's another shoot that I liked, This one was also for Genlux, but the theme was Romeo and Juliet, as the theme for the fall fashion magazine was Love.











That's it for now. I have a bunch of other stuff I found I'll be posting soon, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment